Monday, March 25, 2013

Home Stay

The other exchange students and I were lucky enough to be able to do a really short home stay, thanks to one of our teachers asking her friend if she'd be willing to take us in for a few days to get a taste of Japanese life. I had hoped to learn a lot, but sadly I got some really bad food posioning the first day I got there and so I spent pretty much my entire stay throwing up or sleeping. This home stay did remind me of a couple of important things that I probably should mention though.

In class, we learn that byouin (病院)means hospital and that kaze (風邪) means a cold. These definitions aren't necessarily wrong, but they do need some clarifying. Byouin means everything from clinic to a regular doctor ER. Therefore, when someone ask if you need to go to the byouin for your acne, they're probably asking if you wanna go to a dermatologist. Also, kaze seems to be sickness in general. I was constantly throwing up, constantly going to the bathroom and had a fever. However, everyone kept calling it a cold. So yeah. Don't let these things confuse you!

No comments:

Post a Comment